Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Unexpected Surprise

I was at The Blend this morning preparing my message for Sunday. I ordered a coffee and bagel, gave them my Blend card, and began carrying my stuff over to my table. One of the employees came over with my card in their hand (forgot it at the counter!) and told me that somebody paid for my breakfast. They didn't say who it was, so I was left to wonder.

Soon after that, a woman came by my table and introduced herself. She told me she attends Great Oaks and wanted to let me know that she is joining a small group this week as a result of our Foundations teaching series. As a way of thanking me for what the church has done for her, she bought my breakfast!

I've had this happen before throughout my years in ministry. People have gone to great lengths to show their appreciation to me and my fellow pastors for our service to God and the church. What was unexpected was that this woman was a single mom with three kids.

Now...I don't know this woman's complete story, but most single moms I know are struggling emotionally, physically, and financially. The fact that she is willing to sacrifice her time to get involved in a small group - because we told her how important and life-changing they are - truly challenged me as the official small group's pastor to make sure our groups are functioning like they should be.

And the fact that she sacrificed some of her hard-earned and much-needed money to pay for my breakfast truly humbled me. It was one of the greatest acts of appreciation I have ever received. I can only imagine how God felt when the widow put in her two "very small copper coins" in the offering (Luke 21:1-4).

No comments: