Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Paying Respects

I arrived at the church today in time to pay my respects to a fallen soldier - Pfc. Phillip Pannier. He was a 2006 graduate of Roanoke-Benson High School. He was killed in Iraq by enemy fire last Tuesday along with two other soldiers in his unit.

The funeral procession - which consisted of fire, police, ambulatory, family, friends, and veterans - passed in front of the church on Route 116 about 11:15am. The staff and a few other individuals stood alongside the road to pay our respects and display our gratitude to the family and friends of Phillip.

I didn't know Phillip, but I am thankful that men and women like him are willing to pay the ultimate price to protect people who cannot protect themselves and to provide the freedoms that I continue to enjoy in this country. My prayers are with his family and the rest of our armed forces around the world.

No comments: