Monday, February 04, 2008

One Woman's Story

I connected with one of the two individuals who committed their lives to Christ yesterday. Here is her story...

Chris,

Absolutely you may share my story! I would love for people to know that there is something out there for them.

I am 25, divorced, and have two small wonderful children. My son is four and absolutely loves going to church, and my daughter Emily is two and a half. I grew up in the church, as did my mother, and her mother, etc. I went to a faith-based grade school for 13 years and just never really seemed like I could relate to it. When my children were born it was very important for me to get them involved in the church and bring them up with a good solid passion for their faith. After taking them to church several times, I just decided that it was not for us. We were constantly reminded of what God will hate us for instead of what God will praise us and love us for. I tried several other churches, and they were all similar. I just never seemed to "click" with them, not to mention the kids had absolutely NO interest in attending. It was beginning to seem more like a chore than something we looked forward to as a family.

So I was talking with a friend, and she was telling me about Great Oaks. I attended for the first time 2 weeks ago, and it was like something just clicked and everything that was said during the sermon related to me somehow. It was exactly how you had explained it... instead of thinking of what God will hate us for, we need to think about what God loves us for. My kids had a wonderful time and it brought tears to my eyes when I asked my son, "What's the point?" and he knew the answer!!!! This past Sunday I brought my mom, and she was extremely moved as well.

My ex-husband was not very supportive of us going to church or of my faith, and ever since my divorce I have strived to be involved, but like I said I just never felt like the churches I were going to were fitting for my needs. Again, like you said in the your sermon, I felt completely lost. In more ways than one. Sometimes you need more than just your family and friends to talk to and that is when I decided to start becoming more connected with God, and let me tell you, he definitely listens!

I can hardly wait for next Sunday to roll around. It's nice to be involved with a church that is so welcoming!

No comments: