Saturday, February 16, 2008

NIU...

It is still hard to believe what happened at NIU on Thursday. I have not followed all of the media focus personally, but I have heard from others. I guess I just needed time to spend with my family these last couple of days. Here are some random thoughts following the tragedy...

  • There is an amazing sense of isolation when cell phones don't work and you cannot reach people you are trying to track down. It wasn't a good feeling. I hope I never experience it again.
  • When I got home after being at the Christian Campus House for a while, I almost cried when I hugged Ethan & Morgan. I cannot imagine how I would feel if I lost them to a senseless act of violence.
  • Obviously the entire community was talking about it the next day. At dinner on Friday night, our waiter heard us talking about it and shared with us that he was waiting outside of Cole Hall for his girlfriend who was in the class when it happened. She made it out safely thankfully. Five others were not so lucky.
  • The official fatality count is six - including the gunmen - not seven as I posted earlier.
  • People will inevitably talk about Virginia Tech and other school shootings. They will ask why more wasn't done. They will talk incessantly about campus security. Let's be honest...apart from posting armed guards at the entrance of every building and mandatory pat-downs as students come in, what are you going to do? The police responded in under 2 minutes after the first shot rang out- that's 120 seconds, folks. They had practiced for just such an emergency. Stop the talking...
  • A great friend of mine - Jim Clark - has some powerful thoughts on his blog. He was out at our house for dinner on Thursday night after the tragedy, so we had some time to debrief together.
  • I got calls, emails, and blog posts from all around the world (literally) asking how Russ & Brian - the two campus pastors I am connected with - are doing. Thanks for all of your prayers and concerns, friends. It is good to know there are people out there. I will make sure Russ & Brian know of your love.
Now, go hug your loved ones in case you never get another chance...

No comments: