Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Preferred Future


Does anyone else have a job where they get paid to daydream about the future?

I get to spend the next two days sitting in my kitchen and in local coffee shops dreaming about the future of small groups at Great Oaks. I've got my Bible to see how the early church did it, my computer and a stack of books to see how other churches do it, and my journal to record my thoughts about how we might do it. I've got the vision and strategy and demographics of Great Oaks, and I've got my imagination...

I love working with a blank canvas. It allows me to create rather than re-create. It allows me to experiment and to take risks. It allows me to succeed and grants me permission to fail.

I love my job!

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

So glad to hear how much this job is working out for you.

On of my fears had always been being stuck in a job with no room for vision. Unlike a lot of profs in the US (especially those without a PhD or stellar publishing record), I have been given free reign to dream, design, and refine a program that is only in its initial stages.

What a great, intimidating time!