Friday, November 16, 2007

100 Things You Need to Know About Me (51-60)

Here comes a theme my cousin, Kari, came up with after I included the comment about owning a Dairy Queen. She asked me, "How many people know you owned a Dairy Queen?" Without further ado, here are some things you need to know about my employment history...

51-60 :: Employment History

51. I grew up in Central Illinois farm country, so my first few jobs were focused around agriculture. My first paid job was walking bean fields picking out weeds with a long-handled scythe-like knife. I was 12 years old.
52. My second paid job was baling hay. It was hot, hard work, but water never tasted so good.
53. I've never de-tassled corn, and I don't want to!
54. I worked one summer as a "tire buster" - changing, patching & rotating tires and doing oil changes.
55. I worked in three different factories during college summers - making wiring harnesses for Ford; working a collator in a printing factory; and assisting at a saw in a cabinet factory.
56. I worked at McDonald's in college for 1 week. Then I got a job at a local radio/television channel that I held for three years of college.
57. My wife & I were owner/operators of a Dairy Queen the year after graduating college. It was a great opportunity and a huge financial blessing early in life.
58. I worked for a company called Productivity Point International doing in-office computer training for major companies. I enjoyed the teaching aspect but hated having to wear a suit & tie everyday.
59. I worked for two years in a local high school as a teacher's aide in a self-contained special education classroom for students with behavior, learning, and emotional disorders. I taught the Math & Science portions, but I served mostly as a "bouncer" to keep the kids in line.
60. When I worked at Hardee's in high school, I had a fly get slathered onto a sandwich when I was adding the mayonnaise. It was a lunch rush, so I just picked the fly off and served the sandwich.

No comments: