Monday, December 17, 2007

Word of the Day

gerund (n)

I came across this word in a magazine article I was reading earlier today. I wasn't completely familiar with it, so I looked it up. I found it interesting, so I thought I would share it with you. Don't say you didn't learn anything new today!

Etymology: Late Latin gerundium, from Latin gerundus, gerundive of gerere to bear, carry on
Date: 1513
1: a verbal noun in Latin that expresses generalized or uncompleted action
2
: any of several linguistic forms analogous to the Latin gerund in languages other than Latin; especially : the English verbal noun ending in -ing that has the function of a substantive and at the same time shows the verbal features of tense, voice, and capacity to take adverbial qualifiers and to govern objects

Example: "Running is not my favorite activity."

No comments: