Monday, July 16, 2007

An Open Letter to FVCC

The following is a letter that was mailed to the church late last week informing them of my recent resignation and my search for where God is calling me next...

Dear FVCC Friends & Family,

There are times in life when decisions need to be made that are neither easy nor enjoyable. Now is such a time…

I wanted to let you know that I recently submitted my resignation to our Elders. I realize that this may surprise most of you, but please know that this was not done lightly or quickly and only occurred after several months of prayer, reflection, conversations with mentors, and intense personal struggle. I love this church and the people in it, but it is time for me to move on to another phase in my ministry. I have not yet identified where God is calling me, but I wanted to be above reproach with the Elders and the church by informing you of my decision to pursue such a transition.

Every church and every pastor has a preferred style of ministry, and it is vital for the health and growth of the church that this style of ministry be shared by each. During the last few years, I have noticed a growing discrepancy between my preferred style and that of the church. Please understand that neither is better than the other; they are simply different. FVCC is pursuing some great ministry initiatives, and I pray that God will continue to bless this church, the leaders, and the members in the coming years.

It is with great sadness, and eager anticipation for the future, that I leave the only church I have ever served. FVCC is where I discovered my calling into ministry. It seems like it was just yesterday that the church took a risk and asked me to accept a staff position despite having a lack of experience and education. Since that time, I have discovered the joys and struggles inherent in being a pastor. I am who I am today because of my time here at FVCC.

For the past 11 years, my family and I have been blessed to be a part of this church family. We have spent time with you in countless worship services and small group gatherings. We have laughed together over meals and cried together over pain and suffering. We have celebrated the birth of children together and mourned the loss of loved ones together.

Along with the sadness, though, comes a great deal of peace in this decision. Karen and I understand it is the right decision, despite the pain and disappointment it may cause. The reality is that if I were to maintain my current position with everything I am experiencing, I would be dishonest to our God, to those around me, and to myself.

Please pray for Karen and me as we attempt to determine where God is calling us. It will be difficult to move away from the church and the Fox Valley area, but we are open to God’s leading. I look forward to the time we have remaining together, and I thank you from the depths of my heart and soul for allowing me to be your pastor.

No comments: