Thursday, July 12, 2007

Personal Branding

Have you ever noticed how people "brand" themselves without even thinking about it? Many of us put bumper stickers or logos on our cars. We have t-shirts that reflect experiences or organizational involvement (most of my t-shirts are FVCC event shirts!). These things immediately tell everyone around us some little piece about our lives. So why am I telling you all of this?

I was at my local gas station this morning pumping gas when a woman pulls up to the pump in front of me. As she puts the car in Park, I immediately see the Jesus fish on her trunk and a cross hanging from her rear view mirror. Right away, I realize that she has some level of faith and is probably involved in a local church.

As she steps out, I see the Teva sandals and a muted-colored t-shirt with a picture of a whitewater rafter clutching his oar flying upside down out of his boat. The tag line on the shirt reads, "Getting this high in most states is a felony." She's a rafter.

I walk over because I have just discovered from her personal branding that we have two major things in common - Jesus and whitewater rafting. (On a side note, I think Jesus would have liked rafting...)

Now mind you I don't know who this person is, so in an effort not to surprise her as I walk over (friends tell me I can appear a little intimidating to people that don't know I am just a big, friendly bear) I say loudly and from a distance, "So where do you raft?"

She turns with a look of confusion on her face and then looks down at her shirt. She replies with a tone of amusement, "I wondered how you knew I go rafting! I raft the Youghiogheny." I tell her I typically raft the Gauley (see picture), and we have a brief conversation about rafting. We soon part ways and continue in our day.

Moral of the story: if you brand yourself, be prepared for somebody like me to start a conversation with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, what kind of conversation would you start up after seeing my "I [heart} Scrapbooking" T-shirt?