Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Cross Country

So I'm sitting in my new office at Great Oaks yesterday afternoon and, out of the corner of my eye, I see somebody running across the church parking lot. I look up from unpacking my boxes and notice 15-20 middle schoolers training for an upcoming cross country race. As part of the church's strategy to have "influence with outsiders" they have opened up their 42-acre campus to the neighboring middle school to use for their cross country course.

This afternoon, I returned to the church campus after running a few errands and discovered an actual cross country meet taking place! There were 30-40 middle schoolers running the course that meandered around the campus, and their parents were all waiting for them at the finish line at the back of the building.

What a great opportunity to reach out to people who may never come to church on Sunday morning!

No comments: