Sunday, June 24, 2007

Family Emergency Plan

I saw a commercial this evening that reminded me of something I would see in the background of movies like V for Vendetta (2005) or Children of Men (2006). Both of these movies are set in the not-so-distant future when the world is falling apart and there seems to be no recovery. (This is not an endorsement of these movies; they are simply provided for illustrative purposes.)

The commercial I witnessed tonight began with innocent-faced children asking their parents how long they should wait after school... after soccer practice... after piano lessons... before going to a friend or relative's house. The sincere but stern voice-over then stated, "Will your family be ready in case of a terrorist attack? Make sure your family has an emergency plan in place."

What?!? I didn't see that one coming...

I understand that we live in a world where terrorist attacks are possible. I understand that we live in a world that is much different than it was just seven years ago. But have we already moved into the not-so-distant future as portrayed in Hollywood science fiction?

Along the same lines are all of the recent advertisements from the CIA seeking out new recruits. Have you seen these? Isn't the Central Intelligence Agency supposed to take a more subtle approach to recruiting?

Please understand that I am not making a political or social or even spiritual observation here. I am simply lamenting the recent historical turn-of-events and wondering aloud what the future holds for my children and grandchildren.

Honestly...this is why I don't watch the news. Call it avoidance if you will, but it seems like everything on the news deals with death, destruction, greed, etc. I would much rather watch Man vs Wild or Survivorman. After all...if a major terrorist attack happens and the world falls apart around me, I am taking my family into the wilderness! Remember Red Dawn (1984) with Patrick Swayze, Charlie Sheen, Jennifer Grey, and Lea Thompson?

Sorry for the most depressing post I've ever done, but that commercial really got me thinking...

No comments: