Friday, September 08, 2006

One Final Exit

For over ten years I have been walking through the doors of a building located near the heart of Batavia, Illinois. I made my final exit from that building last night.

After spending a few hours cleaning up and loading items to be taken to our new church facility, I took one last look around, placed my key on the Welcome Center counter, and let the door close behind me. I wasn't sure what I would feel at that moment.

Sorrow? Somewhat...since this was a place I had called home for so long.

Joy? Definitely...since a major project was finally completed.

Excitement? Absolutely...since I could now focus on future ministry efforts in our new facility.

The emotion that I felt the most, though, was something else entirely. As I walked out of those doors for one final exit, I was mostly indifferent. Maybe a better word would be content.

I was content with the knowledge that we had accomplished the mission God had given us in that facility. I was content with the transition to a new facility. I was content with the fact that I would not return to this facility again with the same intent I previously had. I was content.

And I was hungry...

No comments: